Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hazel, Cafeteria, Sidwell Friends School

          I talked with Hazel in the school kitchen while she rinsed couscous in a collander in a giant sink. Short and smiling, she chatted happily with me, gesturing with her gloved hand.
            “I’m Hazel Mines and I’m salad person. I’ve been working here three years this May. I like [this job] ‘cause I’ve been working in food service so long. They accept me here, and I like being around kids, so this is a great job. The first job I ever had was babysitting, live-in with a family. Then from there I left and worked in a hotel for, I don’t know how long. But I’ve been in food service for 35 years. ‘Cause before I came here I worked at Episcopal High School for 31 years, that’s a private high school out in Virginia. And you know, I just love being around kids, they make you stay young. I like getting up in the morning and coming to work. Most people don’t like coming to work, but I like being around young people. Young people make you stay on your toes. They make you feel like you’re their age.

            Before, I was so quiet you wouldn’t even believe it. I’m the oldest of seven kids, so I was just laid-back quiet. But then I got hooked up in food service, starting working with two service men, and they taught me that if you gonna survive, you have to stand up for yourself. So I’ve been standing up for myself. I used to be so quiet and people used to walk all over me, just like an old shoe, you know, you push it aside and it will just stay there. But after I started working with them and they told me ‘you have to, if you plan on staying in this business.’  So when they left the high school, I moved up to head chef.

            I’m originally from North Carolina. I got married, and that didn’t work out, and I had an uncle living up here, and he said I could stay with him, so I came up here, and I’ve been here ever since. I love it, but I live out in Maryland, out by Andrew’s Airforce Base. But I love it. I’ve been here-let’s see… my daughter is 50… I’ve been here maybe about 55 years. I’ve seen a lot change since I’ve been in this town. Martin Luther King, March on Washington, I was living here. I’ve been here a long time. I’ve seen this city change a lot.

            I get along with everybody. And I love kids. Y’all make me feel young. I may look it, but I’m not young. She laughs. I’ll tell you this: whatever your mom and dad taught you, you go by your mom and dad’s rules. You go by your mom and dad’s rules, you won’t go wrong. ‘Cause that’s what I did. I did. My dad always taught me, you gotta learn how to work and do it on your own. You can’t sit around and beg people fro everything, so that’s all I’m telling you. Whatever your mom and dad taught you, you live by their rules. I don’t care how old you get, you live by their rules.”

"if you're gonna survive, you have to stand up for yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment